Friday, May 20, 2011

Differences in Effective Communication

The following describes an experience in interpreting a message delivered in three formats. Although the exact same message is provided, the difference in the type of format used for communicating the message has a significant impact upon its interpretation from the receiver.

Text E-mail

I perceive there to be a missing report that I have failed to submit on time. This has apparently created a moderate degree of anxiety with Jane, the sender of the message. My falling behind schedule will impact Jane’s performance because she cannot finish her report on time without the necessary information. The message has a tone of urgency but respectful. She is asking for my help in this matter.

Voicemail

Voicemail is respectful but with reserved urgency. Hearing her voice adds to the substance of the message. I perceive a slight degree of anger and even disappointment with her audio voice. I get the feeling that this may have happened before and or may be an ongoing problem she faces with me getting my work done on time.

Face-to-face

The face-to-face message is friendlier and clearer. There is less urgency and her body language, eye contact, genuine smile and “to the point” wording is very friendly. Jane appears and sounds to share a very positive working relationship with me. I’m less anxious from this message and her face-to-face message motivates me to get this report to her right away. My defensive feelings are absent. The message is friendly and I detect no sense of animosity or disappointment in her voice, body language, facial expressions and eye to eye contact.

References:

Laureate Education Inc. (Producer), (2011). “Communicating with Stakeholders”, http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5089754&Survey=1&47=6435139&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1

"The Art of Effective Communication" , http://mym.cdn.laureatemedia.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6145/03/mm/aoc/index.html

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Ruben
I found your interpretation of Jane’s face-to-face to be so much different than mine. To me, Jane’s tone actually sounded seductive in the beginning, and then she switched to a timid voice like she was trying to use her sexuality with Mark to get him to give up the report.

It’s funny because we came to a different conclusion also with her voice mail. I found the tone of Jane’s voice in the voice mail was the most sincere form of communication of three modalities. She was clear and concise and yet I sensed the urgency in her tone of voice, but no rudeness or impatience, just concern that she was going to miss her own deadline if she didn’t get the missing report or data from Mark.

It’s very interesting how we came to different conclusions. Your blog prompted me to learn a new word, “Paralinguistics.” It is include how we using the tone of voice, loudness, inflection and pitch to verbally communicate a message.
Reference:
Brody, A. Applied linquistics. Retrieved from http://al.brody.com.ua/Paralinguistics.html

Laurie Senese

Kdogg said...

Good post. Like Laurie said you and I had different thoughts on the voicemail. I thought it was the most effective communication and thought the speaker was clear and to the point. I think the email and face to face have underlining tones. Good post, glad to see it was working this week for you!

rubenramos said...

Laurie and Kdogg,
Thanks for your interesting perspectives on the three message modalities. I do see Jane's body language as friendly but not seductive or pretentious. I also noted concern in her voice as well, but the face-to-face message presented her with a more positive tonality. Perhaps this is the impact of dual-sensory input (visual & auditory). "Paralinguistics" seems interesting. Thanks for sharing. One aspect of paralinguistics I find fascinating is best cited:
"Among the most obvious non-vocal phenomena classifiable as paralinguistic, and having a modulating, as well as punctuating, function is the nodding of the head (in certain cultures) with or without an accompanying utterance indicative of assent or agreement. . . . One general point that has been continually stressed in the literature is that both the vocal and non-vocal phenomena are to a considerable extent learned rather than instinctive and differ from language to language (or, perhaps one should say, from culture to culture)."
(John Lyons, Semantics, Vol. 2. Cambridge Univ. Press, 1977)